Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mercury!!! The silent killer!!!

So we all know mercury is toxic right? Break open a mercury thermometer and you'd be evacuated from the building by men in yellow air-tight suits. Pretty lethal, right? Well, did you know that if you have dental fillings, you could be releasing mercury vapors into your body?
Not only in fillings, but Mercury is everywhere. In the air, water, and food.
The two most common ways to be exposed to Mercury is-
  1. Eating fish. We have all heard about fish possibly containing mercury. Try to limit your fish intake to only a few times a week if you must. Taking a fish oil or omega supplement? (Which you should anyway. More later...) Make sure your supplements are purified and processed to contain the lowest levels of mercury. Try GNC's fish oils or Nordic Natural's brand.
  2. Dental fillings. What?! you say, "They don't use mercury anymore!" Well, you're wrong. The silver amalgam fillings that we are talking about, have been used by dentists for over 160 years. In fact, more than one million of these deadly fillings are given to patients in America during a single work week! Research has proved that mercury vapors escape from these fillings from brushing, chewing, or eating hot and acidic food.
Mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium, and arsenic. More than likely, if you bring up this concern to your dentist, they'll tell you that the issue is way overblown. Of course they'll say that, they don't want to lose their jobs!

Amalgam fillings contain a blend of metals-50% mercury, tin, silver, zinc, copper. Mercury, a toxic heavy metal, has been proven to be unstable, meaning it can bleed out of the fillings and into the human body, mainly the liver, kidneys, brain, and endocrine glands. Mercury is capable of crossing the placenta and collecting in fetal tissue, resulting in birth defects. A big issue for prospective parents!

The American Dental Association endorses mercury removal only in the cases of cracks, chips, leaks, or other structural problems. WHY?! Why is the second most toxic metal on earth used to fill teeth yet today?! Theory is that the ADA still supports the use of mercury in fillings because of the huge lawsuits and fines that would most likely occur. So, if a dentist removes a mercury filling for anything other than structural reasons, he could lose his license to practice dentistry and be bowled over with tons of fines.

Heavy metal toxicity is a slow process. Usually, affected people just don't feel good. They're night sure why, and they just feel tired all the time. Mercury can cause an autoimmune response in the body. Meaning, when mercury enters the membrane of a cell, the body sense the abnormality and then forms antibodies against it. But, because the mercury is inside the body's own cells, it is essentially attacking itself! This can lead to rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid problems, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and other autoimmune diseases.

THE EFFECTS OF MERCURY POISONING
  • Inhibits DNA repair
  • Alters cell's ability to control the exchange of materials coming in and out of the cell
  • Can alter the structure of molecules
  • Hinder the function of enzymes
  • Interfere with nerve impulses
  • Produce autoimmune response in the body (when the immune system attacks itself)
  • Interfere with endocrine function
  • gets rid of good minerals in the body
  • kill or alter good digestive bacteria
  • contribute to antibiotic resistance
SYMPTOMS OF MERCURY EXPOSURE

  • Tremors in fine voluntary movements (like handwriting, etc..)
  • Depression, fatigue, increased irritability, moodiness, and nervous excitability
  • Inability to concentrate and loss of memory
  • Insomnia or drowsiness
  • Nausea or Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Birth defects and miscarriages
  • Kidney disease
  • Pneumonitis
  • Swollen glands and tongue
  • Sores and ulcers in mouth (ie: canker sores!)
  • Dark pigmentation of gums and loosening of teeth
Quick test-
Look at your fingernails. Do your nails have a lunula? That is the "half moon" shape at the base of the nail. Usually your thumbs will, but if the others don't, you may want to get tested for mercury toxicity. (Your little fingers don't have one) This is a common sign.

For more information on this issue call the American College for Advancement in Medicine (ACAM) at 1-800-LEADOUT for a doctor near you, to help with testing and aid you in detixification and/or removal of your fillings.

More to come on your options for natural detoxification of heavy metals...

No comments:

Videos

Loading...
ss_blog_claim=9ead7ed1cc2c8566f7e982c6df57aef2